Faster onset of action can be achieved despite significant reduction of dosage.
The Marinosolv® formulation
Marinosolv® enables a strongly increased solubilization and thereby enhanced bioavailability of hydrophobic small molecules and peptides. Consequently, more efficient treatments of a multitude of diseases can be envisaged. Marinosolv® technology facilitates targeted drug delivery with a low systemic off-target activity. Existing drugs and off-patent active ingredients can be improved and re-patented as part of new formulations using Marinosolv®.
- Patent protected drug delivery platform
- Clinically validated
- Based on micelles composed of excipients from natural sources proven to be clinically safe
- For small molecules and peptides in all stages of NCE/API development
- Re-formulation and re-purposing of established APIs enabling patent life cycle extension
- Locally applied, locally acting drugs in sensitive tissues
- Systemic administration routes
Mode of Action
Saponins (e.g. Escin, Glycyrrhizin) and Dexpanthenol form micelles in a buffered aqueous solvent. The micelles are self-forming in aqueous solutions and have a hydrophobic core and a hydrophilic outside. The different constituents of the Marinosolv® matrix are individually composed for an optimized formulation of each drug substance.
Marinosolv® efficiently increases permeation of API into target tissue (Solubilized estradiol glow (red) permeates more effectively into target issue than it is the case with estradiol in suspension).
Benefits of Marinosolv® formulations
- In currently marketed suspension products, an excess amount of compound has to be applied with only a small portion of dissolved active pharmaceutical ingredient (API), thus, a reduction of the total dose may be possible in Marinosolv® formulations.
- Using suspensions, improper dosing may occur due to shaking of the product is essential prior to application, and might be forgotten by the patient.
- Aseptic production by sterile filtration may be possible and preservatives may be omitted.
- Combination with other active pharmaceutical ingredients (API) may be easier to achieve.
- Potential for cost of goods (COGS) reduction based on cheaper production processes.
- Patent protection may be achieved for Marinosolv® based formulations of compounds that are off-patent otherwise.
- New applications for highly insoluble substances in eyes, lungs, other mucosal tissues, or elsewhere are feasible which may result in low systemic availability and high local activity.